Monday, September 25, 2006

Rolodex this...

I spent two and a half hours of valuable knitting time organizing the six thousand business cards I have recently inhereted at my new job tonight. Seriously, nobody throws anything away at my job. See, I was given a new rolodex so that the desk would look organized. I have to admit I was pretty excited about it. It was one of those wheelie ones and they (i.e. "the office") bought me a little rolodex hole puncher to make the business cards fit into the rolodex. Of course, this was NOT what I had requested. I wanted those little cards with the slots in the corner that fit in the rolodex and then you slide the business cards into the slots. This is different than the plastic sleeves, of which I also got 50 of these that I did not request. But the person who bought it for me was being extremely thoughtful, and it appeared to be a good system. I separated the cards alphabetically and even cross referenced some of them to other categories/names. I spent countless minutes deciphering what my predecessor meant by "Joan 353" and where this name and its cryptic number belonged. I pulled my new rolodex out of its box, only to find that the old rolodex was really old and the cards where about an inch longer than my new rolodex. Dilema here. Old, wide, dog-eared veteran cards vs. new skinny, glamourous, shiny, young rolodex. I was not about to hand write every business card and every old rolodex card onto the smaller one. The business card punch was a piece of crap that did not punch. Oh, and the plastic sleeves- too wide for the new rolodex. I ended up just putting my alphabetized cards back into the old rolodex. What a waste of an evening and a total waste of a dainty beautiful new rolodex. Hence, there is no new knitting progress and I'm quickly losing my interest in the sweater project!

1 comment:

Sara Kirby said...

Nooooo! Don't lose interest! Don't let the man/woman get you down. Resist or Die my friend,Resist or Die! Here's what you do, you buy those roledex cards that you can print on and you do it all on the computer. Time consuming, yes but you can blast some music while you do and have the satisfaction of knowing it done a week from now.

The sweater will get better. Sometimes it's best to interupt a large intimidating project with a small fun one, like dishclothes!

Resist or Die!